Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hunter

Tonight I closed the door to the girls’ room after tucking them in. About 30 seconds later Audrey came out crying telling me she doesn’t like bugs by her bed and she heard one. OH NO!!!!

So I went upstairs and sure enough a big old housefly thought it was spring and had come out during our unusually warm day. I was going to catch it for our pet spider named Rufus (a whole different story see below) but it was flying around so much I couldn’t.

Molly our cat and come in to see what all the commotion was about so I decided to use her as our hunter.

She cracks me up. I can pick her up and put my hand on her lower back and my other under her front legs and lift her all the way above my head so that she can reach the ceiling. She completely trusts me while doing this which I think is very unusual for a cat, her body will be very relaxed the whole time she is up there.

As soon as I lift her up, she knows that there is a bug that I want her to find. It took her about 10 seconds to find, catch, and then eat this particular fly.

I was going to get it away from her and give it to Rufus who hasn’t eaten since last fall, but she was to fast for me. And poor Rufus needed it so much more then Molly. She weights over 16 lbs already.

So hurray for Molly who saved the day!!! The children will not be eaten alive by the humongous house fly, but poor Rufus had to go without….

So about Rufus, I am not entirely sure why he is there. I hate spiders. The idea of one in my house creeps me out. What if it crawls away from where I saw it and ends up on my pillow!!!! You know all the normal stuff.

Well Rufus showed up in our upstairs bathroom one day and neither Brandon nor I felt the need to squish and flush the sucker. We soon saw that he was catching all the annoying bugs that live in the lovely state of Maine, well at least all of the ones that make their way to our upstairs bathroom.

He has never moved from the corner above our sink. The only thing that gives me chills is wondering if Rufus is really a Rufasina and will soon be sneaking a disgusting egg sack out somewhere and then we will be attacked by hundreds of tiny little nasty buggers. But as long as I just remember how interesting it is for us and the girls to watch him catch his prey, wrap it, and eat it, then I feel a little better about leaving an enemy in my bathroom. After all, what could be better for three girls who freak out anytime a bug is near? They are living with one in there bathroom! They will brush their teeth standing right under him. Although it only works on this particular bug. They trust Rufus, but any other spider or bug and its freak out time. Note the above story…

The only down fall is when he is threw eating he drops the carcass on our bathroom counter and also leaves some other unmentionable dots around. The good thing is Rufus hasn’t eaten in months. So we live together in harmony for now… The more webs he makes the less I want him there. The BIGGER he gets, the more I want to flush that little sucker. Right now I will try to hold out until spring so we can let little Rufus out side into the big old world of Maine. Where there are three billion million trillion bugs to eat!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home